Your Grill Just Got an Upgrade This recipe comes from Connie Maginnis, who writes, "When we go to cookouts with people on the Standard American Diet, we bring these Black Bean Burgers to grill. Their acceptance is amazing and I have to bring enough for everyone because all the other people want ours!" Feature Ingredient: Black beans Nutritional Benefits: Black beans are very high in protein, dietary fiber, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium.
1 small onion (coarsely chopped)
1 medium red pepper (chopped)
4 medium cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 cups cooked or canned organic black beans (drained)
1 cup cooked brown basmati rice
2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
Hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
Also optional is adding 1 tablespoon of Ketchup (from Rhonda's Recipe book)
1 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
2. Add onion, red pepper, and garlic.
3. Cook while stirring frequently until soft and onions are translucent.
4. Stir in cumin, turmeric, and cook for an additional minute.
5. In a food processor, combine beans, rice and onion/pepper/garlic mixture.
6. Transfer to a large bowl.
7. Add breadcrumbs and mix well.
8. Season with salt and hot pepper if desired.
9. Flatten 1/4 cup amounts of mix into patties and they are ready for the outdoor grill.
10. Cook about 3-5 minutes each side. Makes 8 burgers.