With fall's official arrival late last month, now's the perfect time to try new recipes for the new season! Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Gayle's Sweet Potato Casserole
A sweet and savory dish, this recipe makes a great choice on a crisp fall night.
- 4 to 5 large sweet potatoes - baked, cooled and peeled
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
First, prepare a 9-inch baking dish with organic olive oil. Set aside. Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
Then, cut the cooked potatoes into 1/2-inch slices, and place them into the prepared dish. Set aside.
Place the almond milk, maple syrup, flour and salt in a large bowl and whisk together until fully combined. Pour mixture over the potatoes, then place the dish in the heated oven to cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
Once the time is up, remove the dish from the oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!
2. Rhonda's Basil Pesto Pizza
Pizza makes the perfect meal on a Friday night, and this healthy version won't leave you feeling guilty. Did we mention it's so easy to make?
For the pesto:
- 2 cups basil leaves - rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup pine nuts - soaked 1 hour and drained
- 2 small garlic cloves - peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup vegetarian parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Small pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the pizza:
- 1 All Natural Tuscan Six Grain Pizza Crust
- Rhonda's basil pesto
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 cup broccoli - chopped fine
- 1/2 cup sweet red onion
- 1/2 cup red pepper - diced
- 6 kalamata olives - coarsely chopped
- Vegetarian parmesan cheese
To make the pesto, place all ingredients - except olive oil - in a food processor and blend until creamy. Drizzle olive oil into processor and blend until well mixed.
To create your pizza, heat the oven to 450 degrees and place the pizza crust on a pan with a light coating of extra virgin olive oil. Top the pizza was pesto, vegetarian cheese and prepared vegetables. Place in the oven to bake for 8 to 12 minutes.
Remove from oven and cut pizza into four quarters. Enjoy!
3. Roasted Vegetable Stew
A wholesome and tasty stew, this recipe combines a multitude of hearty vegetables that are delicious and nutritious.
- 5 small potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup barley - or brown rice or lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 12 ounce cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
First, chop all fresh vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces. Toss with olive oil and prepare garlic, then place in a 12x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
Place vegetables under a broiler to cook for 15 minutes, stirring throughout to ensure they roast and don't burn.
In a saucepan, mix the roasted vegetables, stewed tomatoes, barley and vegetable broth. Boil, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are full cooked through. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!