This hearty delicious soup is great for winter evenings. Serve with some healthy crackers or homemade bread and a salad. You can find this recipe on page 75 of Rhonda's Hallelujah Holiday Recipes book.
2 quarts vegetable soup stock
2 large baking potatoes (peeled and shredded)
1 leek (sliced)
3 celery stalks (chopped)
1 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
1 tsp ground cumin (or to taste)
pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
½ tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt (or to taste)
¼ cup dried parsley
distilled water (add to soup if too thick)
2. Place all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil.
3. Turn down heat and simmer until split peas are soft.
4. Transfer about 1/3 of the mixture to a blender, cool, then blend until creamy. (CAUTION: Do not blend hot soup; cool it first. The steam from hot soup can cause the blender lid to blow off.)
5. Place blended mixture back to the stock pot and serve.
6. If a creamier soup is desired, allow all contents of stockpot to cool and then add in batches to a blender and blend to desired consistency.