Moroccan Chickpea Stew is a flavor-bursting vegan and gluten-free dish that’s full of protein and fiber, which also makes it a great go-to companion for weight loss and maintenance. Chickpeas, the stew’s star ingredient, deliver extraordinary levels of magnesium, iron and vitamin B6, and the spherical bean has been linked to improving blood pressure, heart health and the digestive system, not to mention it may ward off cancer.
1 can diced tomatoes, Or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 cup organic veggie broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
2/3 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup chopped bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. fresh grated ginger
½ cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup diced butternut squash or sweet potato
1 T. cumin
1 T. paprika
½ T. cinnamon
2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
1-2 T. honey, or to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 T. coconut oil for sauteing
Chopped cilantro for garnish
2. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, ginger and garlic, and saute for about 5 min.
3. Add tomatoes, spices, salt and honey, and bring to a simmer.
4. Add chickpeas, veggie broth and squash or sweet potato, and bring back to a simmer.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover for 15 min, stirring every few min.
6. Add in zucchini and apricots, and cook for another 10 min.
7. Taste for seasoning, and adjust to your liking.
8. Serve as is, garnished with chopped cilantro, or with your favorite grain (I recommend quinoa).