This recipe uses the Perfect Pickler kit to create super-healthy fermented foods.
Bowl or plate to catch expanding liquid
4 cups distilled water
2 Tbsp unrefined salt (tightly packed)
2 pounds vegetables (choose any: green bell peppers, jalapenos, green beans [green beans must be blanched for 2 minutes and cooled], cucumbers, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli florets or stems, kohlrabi, sugar snap peas, celery or snow peas)
1 Tbsp pickling spice
½ cup onion
1 Tbsp chopped or sliced garlic (or to taste)
Several sprigs fresh dill, not chopped (optional)
2. Wash and prep 2 pounds vegetables. Cut in bite sized pieces according to your preference and then toss to mix. Mix in onion and garlic.
3. Add your pickling spice blend to base of jar.
4. Add vegetables. Gently tapping along the way. Fill to within 2" from lip.
5. Make a brine by adding 2 Tbsp unrefined sea salt to 4 cups water. Stir to dissolve. Pour over vegetables up to ¼" from lip.
6. Float spacer cup.
7. Place gasket in lid.
8. Add water to fermentation lock and fill bottom third in each column. Snap cap on the fermentation lock. With the lid on the table top, insert the fermentation lock into the black gasket until the tip touches the table. Thread on the lid and hand tighten.
9. Place Perfect Pickler on a small plate. Note the date. Place in a cool place away from any warm appliances or direct sunlight.
10. After 4 days (96 hours), remove Perfect Pickler top. Replace with a canning lid.
11. Store in the refrigerator.