Zippy, crunchy and bursting with flavor! This easy-to-make salad is always a hit at summer picnics. Goes great with black bean burgers or just by itself! The salad ingredients can be adjusted to personal preference. You can add red or white onion in place of green. Put olives in. Add other vegetables such as carrots or zucchini. Substitute other types of beans. Use your imagination and enjoy!
One can black beans, drained
Raw kernels from 1 large ear of corn or one can whole kernel corn, drained
¾ to 1 bunch cilantro chopped (depending on how much you want)
3 to 4 whole green onions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped fine
1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
3 cups vegetable broth or water (broth makes a richer flavor than water)
3 to 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
1 to 2 Tbsp cumin (depending on how much you like)
Salt to taste
1 to 2 Tbsp chili powder
Dash of garlic
2. Add couscous and stir. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. When all liquid is absorbed, remove from stove top and fluff. If using boxed couscous, follow directions on box, if different.
4. Mix remaining salad ingredients together in large bowl. Add couscous.
5. In small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Taste to adjust ingredients to desired flavor.
6. Pour dressing into salad.
7. Mix well and chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.