This past Friday evening at Rhonda’s Culinary Class, attended by 30, Rhonda demonstrated and prepared for those gathered, items for a Hallelujah picnic. She demonstrated and those gathered tasted a Garden Surprise Juice, a Summer Soup, Picnic Slaw & Dressing, Cucumber Sandwiches, a non-dairy Cream Cheese, a non-dairy Hallelujah Butter, Crock-Pot Baked Beans, and for dessert, a Red, White & Blue Parfait without dairy. All were delicious, but the Baked Beans probably received the most accolades.
1" of Kombu leaf, crumbled
2/3 cup fruit sweetened ketchup
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup dark molasses (not Blackstrap)
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt (optional)
1 cup distilled water
pinch of cayenne pepper
2. Place drained beans in a bowl and soak overnight. Drain.
3. In a large pot, place the drained beans and crumbled Kombu leaf with enough water to cover, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 2-hours.
4. Drain cooked beans and place in crock-pot.
5. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and cover.
6. Cook on low 10-12 hours or on high 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally.