This past Friday evening at Rhonda’s Culinary Class, attended by 30, Rhonda demonstrated and prepared for those gathered, items for a Hallelujah picnic. She cooked and those gathered tasted a Garden Surprise Juice, a Summer Soup, Picnic Slaw and Dressing, Cucumber Sandwiches, a non-dairy Cream Cheese, a non-dairy Hallelujah Butter, Crock Pot Baked Beans, and for dessert, a Red, White & Blue Parfait without dairy. All were delicious, but these baked beans certainly received the most accolades, so we wanted to share the recipe with all of you!
1" of Kombu leaf, crumbled
2/3 cup fruit sweetened ketchup
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup dark molasses (not Blackstrap)
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt (optional)
1 cup distilled water
pinch of cayenne pepper
2. Place drained beans in a bowl and soak overnight. Drain.
3. In a large pot, place the drained beans and crumbled Kombu leaf with enough water to cover, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours.
4. Drain cooked beans and place in crock pot.
5. Add remaining ingredients, mix well, and cover.
6. Cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally.