Equally satiating, dripping with flavorful goodness and bursting with nutrients, this hearty BLT alternative will keep your stomach and taste buds happy—not to mention the rest of your body!
2 Portobello mushroom caps, thinly sliced at a 45 degree angle
4 T. grape seed oil
1 T. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Dash of ground cayenne
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Sliced spelt or other whole grain bread
Romaine or baby lettuce leaves
1 avocado, mashed
1 tomato, sliced
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients except the sliced mushrooms.
2. Pour mixture over the mushroom slices, and toss gently with your hands until all of the slices are coated.
3. Let sit for 15 minutes.
4. In a ceramic non-stick skillet over medium heat, place sliced mushrooms, being careful not to over-crowd the pan.
5. Sear mushrooms until golden brown on each side, about 2 - 3 minutes per side.
1. Assemble the sandwich by lightly toasting the bread, and spreading one slice with Vegenaise, and the other with avocado.
2. Then layer the Portobello bacon, tomato, and lettuce.
3. Slice and serve.