As Featured in Health News #72
¼ lb sweet onion (optional), cut into quarter-round slices
¼ lb cauliflower (optional), cut into thumb-sized florets
5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp pickling spice (mustard seed, celery seed, dill seed [not dill weed], coriander seed, and cracked peppercorns)
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 bunch fresh dill (2 cups, packed), soaked in water 10 minutes
2 Tbsp coarse, unrefined sea salt (or 1-1/2 Tbsp ground sea salt)
4 cups filtered water
1 tsp chile flakes (spicy option), to taste
2. Crush bay leaf and place in bottom of pickling jar, then add pickling spices.
3. Add a third of fresh dill to bottom of pickling vessel. Lay the jar on its side.
4. Add whole cucumbers arranging in single layer. Fill gaps with cauliflower and onion. Add a third of the fresh dill. Repeat and add another layer.
5. Stand the jar up and add remaining ingredients until almost full.
6. Make a brine and dissolve the salt. Pour into jar until almost full.
7. Attach Perfect Pickler jar-top fermentor (available at Hallelujah Acres)
8. After four-day fermentation at room temperature (70-73 degrees F), remove Perfect Pickler, replace with regular lid, and refrigerate.