The secret to this a-maize-ingly delicious salsa is the pickled corn niblets! Fresh peppers, scallions and spices create a flavor-packed salsa for a delicious Springtime snack.
1 cup diced scallion (white and green portions)
1/3 cup jalapeno chiles, diced small (remove seeds)
1/3 cup dried tomato halves (diced small)
2 Tbsp lime juice (1 lime)
1 tsp lime zest, grated
4-6 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp aged brine (from prior batch if available)
1 Tbsp unrefined sea salt
2 cups water
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or other vegetable oil
2 tsp honey
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2. Combine 2 cups water, 1 Tbsp unrefined sea salt, and aged brine and stir to dissolve.
3. In a clean pickling jar, pack the corn mixture until almost full.
4. Pour in the brine to cover the mix.
5. Insert overflow cup and attach Perfect Pickler jar-top fermentor (available at Hallelujah Acres).
6. After four-day fermentation at room temperature (70-73 degrees F), pour mixture into a large sieve and drain off the brine. Use strained brine for another purpose.
7. Toss mixture with lime juice, oil, honey, and cilantro. Return mixture to the jar, top with regular lid, and refrigerate.
8. Serve Suggestion: Mix with some leftover rice and add other raw diced veggies to make a grain salad. Serve with hot sauce on the side!