Eating large quantities of fresh vegetables (especially greens like collards, turnip greens, arugula, romaine, spinach, broccoli and Brussels sprouts) and luscious fresh fruits is the secret to feeling full and curbing cravings. Eating beans and lentils with your meals or on top of your salad will further keep you on track. Here’s a lentil recipe that will fill you up and not out!
1 cup chopped celery*
1 Tbsp oil (optional)
¼ cup water
4 cups water
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced*
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup brown lentils
½ cup basmati rice
2. Add garlic, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper and stir in with onion and celery.
3. Add four cups water and lemon juice and stir everything together.
4. Add lentils and rice and stir everything together.
5. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for around 30 minutes. Stir mixture a few times during this 30 minutes. When rice is tender, dinner is ready!
6. *If you are in a hurry and don"™t have time to chop onions, celery and garlic, just substitute ¼ tsp garlic powder and 1 ½ tsp onion powder and skip #1 in directions above.