This quick recipe makes a great, healthy, plant based lunch idea! You combine a light, whole-grain carbohydrate with healthy vegetables. Add a hearty, raw vegan salad as the first course and you've got a wonderful, energy-packed lunch!
This recipe serves one but can be easily doubled or tripled if you're vegan cooking for two or more, maintaining the same ratios for all ingredients. However, the cooking time and temperature stay the same.
1 organic whole wheat tortilla, chapati, or spelt tortilla (You can get them fresh or frozen in resealable packages in health food stores). If frozen, it DOES NOT need to be defrosted!
1 organic roma tomato, slice very thin
1 or 2 organic scallions, chopped thin
1/2 organic red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
1 or 2 slices of veggie (soy) or rice Mozzarella-style cheese
Approx. 10 fresh, organic basil leaves, cut thin
About 1 cup of a good-tasting, organic tomato sauce
A few organic black olives (if desired)
Organic extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. On a non-stick baking sheet, place the tortilla. Spoon the tomato sauce evenly over the tortilla. Use a bit more if necessary--not too much though; you don't want to excessively weigh down the finished product.
3. Add roma tomato slices, as well as creatively positioning all remaining vegetables, herbs, and olives (if using).
4. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt and ground black pepper, if desired.
5. Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil over the pizza, allowing the lycopene in the soon-to-be-cooked tomatoes to be better absorbed by the body.
6. Place the 1 or 2 mozzarella-style veggie or rice cheese slices, shredded by hand, over the top of the tortilla.
7. Place in preheated oven for roughly 12 minutes, or until the "cheese" is melted.
Let the "pizza" sit a few minutes before cutting with a pizza roller into fours. You may have to balance the tortilla with your fork as you put it into your mouth.
Wonderfully healthy and delicious! Enjoy!