My barbeque sauce is smoky, spicy and sweet, and it contrasts perfectly with the creamy, tangy slaw and the sour crunch of the dill pickle. Who said you can't have BBQ on a plant-based diet?!
1 8 oz. package of tempeh (I use Lightlife)
1-2 dill pickles, thinly sliced
4 slices of your favorite whole grain or gluten-free bread, lightly toasted
½ medium onion, finely chopped
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup organic ketchup
1-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you like it)
3 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. maple syrup
1 T. organic molasses
½-1 tsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp. sea salt
Cracked black pepper to taste
1 T. coconut oil for sautéing
2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
½ cup grated carrot
¼ cup finely sliced or chopped red onion
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
3 T. Veganaise
2 T. Dijon mustard
1. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 min.
2. Add garlic, and sauté for another 2-3 min. Add in the rest of the ingredients and let simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
3. When the mixture is not piping hot, add it to a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth.
4. Taste, and re-season to your liking if necessary.
5. Makes approx. 1 ½ cups of sauce (you won’t mind having a little extra, trust me).
1. Whisk together Veganaise, Dijon, lemon juice, agave, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2. In a larger mixing bowl combine cabbage, carrot, onion, and cilantro, and pour in dressing.
3. Mix well, so that everything is fully incorporated.
4. Fillet your tempeh into ¼ inch thick slices, and smother with the barbeque sauce.
5. Let it marinate in the sauce for 30 min. up to overnight.
6. Bake the marinated tempeh at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
1. I like to slather both sides of the lightly toasted bread with a little bit of the barbeque sauce.
2. Then lay a few pickle slices, followed by the tempeh, and then a generous portion of slaw (I do about a ½ cup per sandwich).
3. Slice it in half, and enjoy!