Nutritional deficiency is rarely considered in terms of getting enough water—but it should be. But most of us don’t really know what dehydration looks like. As a result, it creeps in slowly and undetected until it becomes a chronic condition. Chronic dehydration is, in fact, a major, underlying cause of many common ailments in addition to causing decrements in physical, visuomotor, psychomotor, and cognitive performance.
The signs of chronic dehydration manifest themselves under the guise of seemingly insignificant and/or unrelated ailments. For example, allergies (and even asthma) can be a symptom of chronic dehydration. Dehydration increases histamine levels, which causes the body to release cortisol (a stress hormone). This suppresses the production of white blood cells, making the body vulnerable to allergens. Chronic dehydration can also cause or contribute to:
- gastro-esophageal reflux disorder (GERD)
- joint pain (due to dried out cartilage)
- kidney stones
- acid/alkaline imbalance (causing fatigue)
- high blood pressure
- obesity (dehydration causes a craving for foods rich in water, which confuses the body into thinking its hungry)
- eczema (because the body does not have enough water to dilute toxins, which then irritate the skin)
- urinary infections
- rheumatoid pain (toxins build up and cause pain because they have not been flushed out)
- premature aging
Thirsty yet? The raw foods and juices in the 85% raw portion of The Hallelujah Diet contain abundant water in its purest form—living foods. Of course, a supply of purified water is also recommended. The best water we have found is alkalized Kangen water. A Kangen water machine purifies tap water, then alkalizes it up to a pH of 11.0; it actually makes your water better hydrating and makes it an antioxidant in the process.* But not everyone has a Kangen machine or access to a local business that offers it for free (like Hallelujah Acres' Health and Wellness Store does). The next best thing is distilled water treated with the Hallelujah Diet HydroBoost Kit. HydroBoost alkalizes distilled water, bringing it to a pH of 8.0 or higher. It also boosts your body's protection against free radicals, boosts hydration to your cells, and boosts nutrition with more than 70 ionic minerals and trace elements! One 8 oz. bottle of HydroBoost will treat 48 gallons of distilled water. So, remember, drink enough liquids! It's easy and goes hand-in-hand with a proper diet. And speaking of diet, here's a tip: Drinking water a half-hour before eating will also help the process of food digestion, easing its effect on your cells.
* NOTE: Kangen water machines do not remove fluoride without an optional pre-filter. If your tap water contains fluoride, you may want to consider this pre-filter, especially if you are battling a chronic condition and are drinking large amounts of water from a Kangen machine.
How much water do you drink each day?