St. Patrick's Day, the celebration of the saint himself, is right around the corner. Many observe by wearing their most festive colorful apparel, marching in parades and indulging in delicious green food and beverages. But just because you want to participate in the festivities, doesn't mean you have to step away from your plant-based eating regimen. Just think about all of the delicious goodies you can make with vibrant fruits and nutritious leafy greens!
Here are a variety of juices, snacks and sweets to make for St. Patrick's Day. Remember to choose organic leafy greens and organic produce when possible for better health.
1. Top O' The Morning Veggie Juice
The perfect drink for the celebration, this recipe is sure to take you to the pot of golden health at the end of the rainbow. Each serving is just 100 calories!
- Enough carrots to produce 6 ounces of carrot juice
- 1 organic honey crisp or pink lady apple
- 1 small piece of beet
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 piece of ginger
Run all ingredients through a juicer, then stir together and enjoy!
2. Kale, Avocado and Lemon Green Smoothie
This combination makes a delicious tasting smoothie and produces the perfect shade of green for the holiday!
- 2 cups of chopped kale or spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 to 2 cups distilled water
- 1 scoop of Fiber Cleanse, B-Flax-D or freshly ground flaxseed
Place all ingredients in a blender, adding water, if necessary, to improve the consistency. Enjoy!
3. Fresh Mint Smoothie
Beyond the green vibrancy, this recipe uses mint to freshen things up on St. Patrick's Day.
- 3/4 cup water
- Small tangerine or 1/2 orange, seeds removed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 1 celery rib
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon BarleyMax original
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/2 of a frozen banana
Place all ingredients in a blender, mixing until smooth. Add five ice cubes or another 1/2 of a frozen banana if you want to drink the smoothie immediately. Enjoy!
4. Rich's Lean Green Juice
The perfect detoxifying on-the-go breakfast or snack, this recipe flushes away toxins and enhances your energy levels.
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 head of celery
- 2 green apples
- 1/2 pineapple
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 8 to 10 sprigs of mint
Place all ingredients through a juicer and enjoy immediately, or save in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
5. Raw Key Lime Pudding
A refreshing lime flavor and festive color, this recipe makes the perfect dessert to share with friends on St. Patrick's Day.
- 3 medium avocados - peeled and pitted
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen mango pieces
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup raw unfiltered honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4 of fresh vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic or Himalayan Salt
Simply place all of your ingredients in a blender and mix until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and let chill before serving. Enjoy!
6. BarleyMax Berry Popsicles
The weather might still be a little chilly, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a delicious green popsicle! This recipe is made with our best-selling, incredibly nutritious BarleyMax.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon BarleyMax Berry powder
Use your blender to mix the orange juice and BarleyMax to ensure a smooth consistency. Pour mixture into popsicle molds, add sticks and let freeze for at least four hours before serving. Enjoy!
7. BarleyMax Mint Frozen Carob Cake
Another delicious treat made with BarleyMax, this recipe will curb any of your chocolate cravings this St. Patrick's Day!
For the crust:
- 2 cups macadamia nuts (soaked, drained and dried) or 1 cup macadamia nuts and 1 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates - pitted
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pinch of Celtic Sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
For the pie filling:
- 3 avocados - halved, pitted and scooped out of the shell
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/2 cup carob powder
- 1 teaspoon Roma or other instant grain beverage
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg or cardamom
- 1 tablespoon BarleyMax Mint (or fresh mint leaves or 1/2 teaspoon mint extract)
- 1 tablespoon organic psyllium husks or ground hemp seeds
For the pine nut cream:
- 1 cup pine nuts, almonds, or macadamia nuts (soaked 12 hrs. and drained)
- 1 golden delicious apple
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 vanilla bean (cut into small pieces) or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup distilled water
First, create your crust by pulsing all ingredients in a blender until finely processed. Press finished crust into a pie dish and set aside.
To create your pie filling, place all ingredients in a blender, mixing until smooth and creamy. Once you've reached the perfect consistency, pour mixture into the prepared pie crust. Set aside.
Finally, place all pine nut cream ingredients in your blender and mix until smooth. Pour on top of pie filling, place in the freezer and let set for at least one hour before serving. Enjoy!