I Became My Own Doctor 40 Years Ago — Results Are In!

I Became My Own Doctor 40 Years Ago — Results Are In!

My grandparents on mother’s side of the family were farmers who lived in the tiny farming community of Constable, New York just a few miles from the Canadian border. They had no telephone or automobile. Their only means of transportation was their own feet – clad in shoe leather or, more often bare – or a horse-drawn buggy in summer and a horse-drawn sleigh in winter. They had no electricity, running water, or indoor bathroom. They did have an outhouse. Their only source of refrigeration was their basement. Their only means of heating their home in winter was a wood stove and cooking was on a kerosene burner. Most of their food was what they raised in their gardens and orchards and preserved for winter use. They didn’t have any health insurance or life insurance, or access to a drug store, and their nearest doctor was a day’s journey by horse and buggy on dirt roads in summer or sleigh in winter to the nearest town. Their only remedies for sickness were natural ones. Yet, they lived in excellent health into their 80s and died at home of old age.

Mother Moves to the Big City

Grandma and Grandpa had 12 children, my mother being one of the 12. She was born in 1912 and raised in her parents’ home and grew up eating the same foods and living under the same conditions as her mother and father and siblings did. When my mother graduated from high school, she left the farm. She wanted to be a nurse and so off to school she went to the “big city” (New York City) to attend nursing school at Mt. Sinai. While in nursing school, my mother met my dad, a man who had been raised in the big city of Yonkers, New York (a suburb of New York City). In 1933, she graduated as a Registered Nurse (RN) from Mt. Sinai Hospital and married my father that same year. I came into the world a year later. In the big city, my mother was first introduced to all the manufactured foods that had been absent during her childhood years; she was also introduced to doctors, hospitals, and drugs. She did not foresee the impact these new introductions would have on her health or what affect they would have on my father’s health.

Dad Dies of a Massive Heart Attack

Unlike my mother, Dad had access to lots of animal source foods and refined sugar all his life, as well as to doctors and drugs. As a result of consuming all the animal fat in Dad’s diet, my father had his first stroke at age 42. This started him down a road that included numerous heart attacks and strokes, doctor visits, drugs, and hospitalizations. During the next 23 years of Dad’s life, he was frequently in the doctor’s office and taking drugs daily. Neither the constant use of drugs nor frequent visits to the doctor, nor the numerous hospital stays he endured, improved his health or quality of life. In fact, it was heartbreaking to watch him deteriorate year by year, until at age 65 he died of a massive heart attack. I was only 8 years old when Dad had his first stroke and, because of his poor health following that first stroke, never had the privilege of playing ball or doing any sports with him.

Mother Dies Following a Cancer Diagnosis

At age 49, my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer. In the operating room after they had opened her up they found the cancer had wrapped itself around her colon and they were unable to surgically remove the cancer. Instead, the doctor’s sewed her back up and recommended cobalt treatments (radiation) and chemotherapy. Having great faith in the medical system of which she had become a part as a registered nurse, Mother very willingly submitted her body to these medical treatments. These treatments destroyed her immune system! Every winter, she ended up in the hospital with pneumonia for which she was given massive doses of penicillin, nearly dying during several of these hospitalizations. For the next 16 years — while she was under the doctor’s constant care, taking massive amounts of drugs, and in and out of the hospital — I watched my mother’s horrible decline until her death at age 65. When my sister and I cleaned out her apartment following her death, we removed three shopping bags of full, partially full, or empty prescription drug containers.

My Sister Dies Following a Bout With Cancer

After nearly 10 years of doctoring, my only sibling died of thyroid cancer at age 69. Like our parents before her, she was constantly visiting the doctor and in and out of the hospital for radiation treatments as the cancer spread from one part of her body to another. And like my mother, she maintained great faith in the doctors that attended her. Two of her three children, after visiting their mother (apparently too soon after she had received a massive radiation treatment), came down with radiation poisoning and thyroid cancer themselves.

Then It Was My Turn...

In early 1976, at the age of 42, I was told I had colon cancer – the same kind of cancer that had taken my mother’s life following years of medical treatments. For as long as I could remember, my mother (a registered nurse) had taught me that when you get sick, you go to the doctor and you do what the doctor says. (Remember that she was a nurse, after all). But the horrible experience my mother had following her cancer diagnosis, the terrible suffering she endured, and the rapid decline in health that resulted when she followed “doctor’s orders” caused me to reconsider taking the traditional medical approach that she had taught me all my growing up years to always pursue. Because of both Mom's and Dad's terrible results taking the medical approach, I went searching for an alternative way of dealing with my cancer. In that search I remembered an evangelist in Texas by the name of Lester Roloff. Brother Roloff had for years been trying to get preachers in particular (and Christians in general) to change their diets — to change what they ate from the SAD diet of the world to the diet God gave Adam in Genesis 1:29.

Brother Roloff Encouraged Me To Be My Own Doctor

When I sought Brother Roloff’s counsel, he discouraged me from following the route of drugs and doctors that had failed both my mother and father. Instead, he encouraged me to do something as simple as change what I ate and to drink lots of vegetable juices as an alternative way of dealing with my cancer. I heeded Brother Roloff’s advice and, almost 40 years ago, made a commitment to change what I was eating. Overnight, I stopped the consumption of all animal source foods, including all flesh and dairy, along with all refined sugar and refined grains – the very foods Brother Roloff said had been the cause of my cancer. In its place, I adopted a 100%, predominantly raw, plant-based diet with lots of freshly extracted vegetable juices.

My New Diet Changed My Health

My new diet was based on the diet God gave Adam in the Bible in Genesis 1:29. With weeks of following this biblical model, my rectal bleeding had stopped, and within a year my baseball size tumor had disappeared. All this happened without any doctor’s help, use of drugs, radiation, surgeries, or hospitalizations. That was almost 40 years ago — in fact, I celebrated my 81st birthday last Thursday. And what have I done for nearly 40 years to mitigate my physical problems, maintain my health, and reach the age of 81 in such excellent health? I chose, at the age of 42, to become my own doctor.

The Results Are In...

I have been sickness-free since I made my diet change almost 40 years ago. Shortly after my diet change for my cancer, my debilitating allergies ceased. My immune system strengthened to the point that I haven’t experienced the flu or even a cold or an allergy flare-up in almost 40 years. And I haven’t received a single flu vaccination in all these years, either. My energy increased dramatically as a result of the diet change and here I am at the age of 81 with more energy than many teenagers are experiencing. My mind also improved following making the diet change and today at age 81 it is functioning better than when I was a teen... with no sign of Alzheimer’s. But that’s not to say I haven’t had any physical challenges in these past 40 years.

My Challenges...

In addition to the cancer in 1976, in July 2001, at the age of 67, after returning from a very stressful speaking tour in South Africa where I had delivered seven seminars in six days to an average crowd of 600 in six different South African cities (not to mention being in an airplane for over 57 hours in 10 days), I experienced a hemorrhagic stroke while lecturing at a Health Minister Training at Hallelujah Acres. After being rushed to the hospital, I was diagnosed as having experienced a ruptured blood vessel in the brain. The doctors wanted to immediately begin intravenous drugs and airlift me to Charlotte for cauterization of the bleed. But my dear wife Rhonda, knowing that I hadn’t had a drug in my body in 25 years, was afraid the drugs would kill me, so she refused all medical treatments. The doctors were enraged, told Rhonda that without medical treatment I would be dead in 24 hours, and ordered me out of the hospital. I was taken to my home by ambulance, lifted by stretcher onto my bed, and Rhonda had to sign a slip stating that I was still alive when they delivered me to my home. After the stroke, rather than letting the medical doctors attempt to restore my health at the hospital through the use of drugs and surgery, Rhonda became my doctor. She had learned through the years of living with me that I considered raw vegetable juices to be the primary ingredient in restoring a sick and suffering body to wellness. And that is exactly what Rhonda proceeded to provide me every waking hour after that stroke – a fresh glass of vegetable juice or a serving of barley juice powder. By the next day, my mind began to return. Within a week, Rhonda took me to a neurologist who examined my hospital records, talked to me, asked some questions and stated, “You are a miracle.” The neurologist went on to share that approximately half of all those who experience a hemorrhagic stroke die, while the other half are usually left with lingering physical or mental limitations. Yet there I was just a week after the stroke with no lingering physical or mental limitations, nor do I have any to this day, nearly 14 years later. In 2005, at the age of 71, I was on the top of a six-foot ladder leaning against the side of our log cabin. I was on my tiptoes trying to reach a spot that needed staining when the ladder suddenly slid out from under me. The distance from where my head was when the fall began to where I landed on my left eye on a railroad tie was 16 feet. My left eye almost immediately became swollen and closed tightly, but not a bone was broken. I had neither pain nor bleeding, nor did I seek medical help. I knew the only thing a doctor could do for me was to reattach my retina if I indeed had a detached retina, and if I had experienced a concussion there was nothing a doctor could do to help but observe me. Once again, I chose to be my own doctor. Immediately, Rhonda started me on the Hallelujah Recovery Diet and I began taking five Serrapeptase (a natural anti-inflammatory enzyme available at Hallelujah Acres) every hour to help control inflammation. We went to church that Wednesday evening and the people at church saw my condition. By Sunday there was little evidence I had experienced a fall. Today, some 10 years later, the only evidence of that event is a little scrambling of the skin in my left eyebrow area and a loss of some eyebrow — but these are not things that a doctor nor drugs could have prevented or helped.

Mother Was My Doctor

Though mother was a nurse and both she and my father did go frequently to medical doctors for their health problems, Mother did not take me to the doctor as a child — Mother was my doctor through all the childhood diseases I experienced, including mumps, measles, chicken pox, colds, sore throats, flu, fevers, bumps, bruises, etc. Though a nurse trained in allopathic medicine, she nursed me back to health each time and without the use of drugs or doctors.

3 Reasons I Don't Have Health Insurance

In 1976, after watching my body heal itself of colon cancer through a simple diet and lifestyle change, I realized that I could maintain my own health and prevent future sickness by:
  1. Becoming my own doctor
  2. Feeding my body correctly with the foods God told us to eat for proper nourishment in Genesis 1:29
  3. Exercising daily
I figured that if I could maintain wellness through a correct diet and lifestyle, I did not need to spend all that money for so-called “health insurance.” No amount of health insurance could prevent me from getting sick; it only paid for the drugs and doctors and hospital bills that would arise if I got sick. Now I realize that no matter how well a person nourishes and exercised their body that would not prevent the potential for accident. Thus, I do encourage a good accident policy (which is difficult to find). Being my own doctor for four decades has not only proven to be great for my health, but also for my pocketbook. By not carrying health insurance I have saved more than $150,000 in insurance premiums.

Is It Time To Become Your Own Doctor?

The choice is yours… Next week, the good Lord willing and if the creeks don’t rise too high we will return with another exciting issue of the Hallelujah Health Tip. Trust you will join us and that you will share these Health Tips with friends and loved ones.

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get promotions, news tidbits, featured recipes, webinars, supplement spotlights, and much more sent right to your email inbox!