If you're anything like us, you have to be extra diligent about The Hallelujah Diet when you're on the go.
When you don't have your juicer by your side, or a healthy kitchen stocked with plant-based foods, it's really easy to slip into old habits
Fortunately, being in Nigeria right now
means having a ton of local, fresh foods everywhere you turn
. We've been really impressed by the amount of local produce, especially the avocados and pineapples — they are amazing!
No matter where you're going, it's not so much the destination that trips up most people, it's getting there
When you're on the go, you're at the mercy of whatever restaurants or convenience stores you can find
along the way (and if you're lucky, an occasional Whole Foods or health food store).
Airports, however, seem to be the worst places for plant-based folks like us, but some airports are getting better than others.
The whimsical yet informative organization, Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine
(led by Dr. Neal Barnard) has come up with a list of America's healthiest airports
They graded each of 18 airports on the number of healthful meals available at the airport's restaurants.
It came as a bit of a surprise to us that 76% of restaurants in 18 of the nation’s busiest airports offer at least one low-fat, cholesterol-free, vegetarian meal
. Not bad!
The worst was Atlanta International Airport. Surprisingly, airports in vegan-friendly cities
like Los Angeles, Denver, and San Francisco were near the bottom, too.
Also a big surprise was the best airport: Newark Liberty International Airport
, with 56 of its 61 restaurants offering something healthy to eat.
So, if you're making travel plans for Christmas, consider a connection at Newark (preferably around dinner time)!
Here's the full list from best to worst:
- Newark Liberty International Airport
- Las Vegas McCarron International Airport
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
- Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport
- Miami International Airport
- Orlando International Airport
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- San Francisco International Airport
- Denver International Airport
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Baltimore/Washington International Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
What do you eat when you're on the go? Comment below!