There are a lot of confusing messages when it comes to nutrition, because sometimes there are conflicting health suggestions from various experts. How do you decide which nutritional advice is best for your health? When it comes to weight loss and optimal health, the topic of fat consumption is one of these confusing topics, and many people assume that it is best to decrease their fat consumption in order to avoid weight gain. The truth is that there are many reasons why fat is good for your health, you just need to make sure that you are consuming the right types of fat. Here are 7 reasons why you need to have fat in your diet:
- Healthy Cells: Fat is a necessary part of the cell membranes, and it supports the overall health of each cell within your body.
- Vitamins: Certain vitamins are “fat-soluble” which means that you need fat for those vitamins to be absorbed into the body. The intestines can absorb these vitamins when healthy fat is available: Vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Energy: If you want the most efficient source of energy for your body, then you need to eat more fat. One gram of fat provides nine calories of energy, which is more than double the four calories of energy found within proteins and carbohydrates.
- Communication: Good communication within the body is essential for all of the major functions, and fat assists with the communication within brain cell membranes and the fibers surrounding your nerves.
- Better Skin: Improving the health of your skin is easy by incorporating more fat into your diet. Fat gives the skin its rounded appeal, and it also acts as the insulation within the skin to regulate body temperature.
- Hormones: Balancing the hormones impacts so many functions within the body, and fats are the structural components of many of the hormones and hormone-like substances within the body.
- Organ Protection: It is important that the vital organs are protected, and fat acts as the barrier of protection to your heart, kidneys, and other organs.